Visual Design Publication


03.06.20 - 24.06.20 (Week 7 - Week 10)
Piyaphon Inthavong (0337589)
Design Research Dissertation
Complete Dissertation with Visual Design Publication

INSTRUCTIONS



FINAL DISSERTATION

The final dissertation was a continuation project from the previous week where we worked to compile our research into a dissertation draft. During the weeks of the planning for the final visual publication design, I went over to my draft dissertation as much as I could to minimize the mistakes within my writings and made major changes in the abstract, conclusion, and introduction. The following is the submitted final dissertation in Google Document and PDF:


PDF embedded Final Dissertation Document.

DISSERTATION BOOK CONCEPT

I planned out the first mood board for the visual design of the book. I thought of using stable typeface to represent a stable element of typography for the web credibility. Font selection was mainly from Google as they are the most familiar typefaces used among many websites and its modern look best suits the theme I aimed for, which is contemporary, simplicity (just as studied in the research). The mood board is presented below:


BOOK COVER DESIGN

I started off with little understanding of publication design and struggled to make them appear at the very least appealing. My variations slowly shifted from static layout into a more balanced and grad-based in each version. As I progress from a few versions, I spent extra time to understand the unseen visual design of the book. I read on different color schemes and looked for matching meanings to my keywords. It was also essential that I keep collecting references as I go on with each design. In the end, I refined my design into a business-orientated concept that focuses on an imagery aspect of visual aesthetic. With all the pre-designing and pre-planning stage, I went back to the proposal and made changes to accommodate what I learned from the way.


Following the proposal I've presented, I aimed to design a minimalist looking cover with a grid system. The primary color of the cover is based on a dark shade of Prussian blue in a combo with an accent of light gold as the text. These colors are chosen to display a business profile look. The following photo is one of the refined version (not final) of my book cover design with 2 color variations.


With my decision made on the darker look, a refinement on the typography was made with more aligning and balanced point size, line spacing. I then topped the final design with an opaque marble texture to give a little depth to the design. The final book cover is shown below:

Final Book Cover.

Cover Artwork Display 1.

Cover Artwork Display 2.

FINAL DISSERTATION BOOK

PDF embedded Final Dissertation Book.



FEEDBACK

Week 7 | June 3rd, 2020

Dr. Hayati thought the visual direction presented on the mood board was interesting, however, the style is yet to suit the theme of the research. She explained how she perceived my typeface as, "its wide, not tall" which represents masculinity.

Week 8 | June 10th, 2020

Looking over my conceptual framework, Dr. Hayati told me it was almost ready, I just need to select aspects of the framework that was directly contributed from my research since the scope is currently too much at the moment.

Week 9 | June 17th, 2020

Dr. Hayati confirmed my publication design proposal this week, which includes the book layout, cover, color scheme, and typography. She was content with the quick progression I make compare to the last few weeks and told me that I could enter the design process in Adobe Indesign.

Week 10 | June 24th, 2020

Dr. Hayati saw my working progress and commented on the design principles of the layout as she thought they were well applied. The layout achieves a sense of balance with contrast and hierarchy from the scaling of the typography.

A few copyright wordings and email were fixed to make the book appear more official. I was prompted to add keywords on the abstract page of the book and change the page number to roman number style on the acknowledgment, abstract, and table of contents page of the book. Dr. Hayati also reminded me to fix the conceptual framework to finalize it.

Comments